If you have been dreaming of owning a motorcycle and think you may be ready to take the plunge, there are a few things to consider when it comes to motorcycle insurance.
- Most states require motorcyclists to have motorcycle insurance in order for the motorcycle to be registered with the state and legal to drive on public roads. Just as automobile drivers are required to register and purchase insurance, motorcycles have the same potential to do harm to others and need to be regulated. Driving on public roads without insurance is risky because in the case of an accident, you could be sued for damage or injuries you cause to others.
- Individual states have minimum insurance requirements when it comes to bodily injury and property damage liability. Check with your state to be sure that you have the necessary amount of motorcycle insurance coverage to stay in compliance with state regulations. If you plan on taking a road trip to another state, you will need to obtain the required amount of insurance to be legal there also.
- Many insurance companies offer a bundle discount to those customers who already have automobile or homeowners insurance. Adding your motorcycle on to an existing policy could save you some money.
- Insurance companies offer a wide variety of coverage to fit your specific needs as a motorcyclist. Seasonal insurance is available to those who only ride during warmer months. The coverage you need may change depending on where you intend to ride, the value of your motorcycle, or the age of the rider. Additional coverage to consider would be uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, medical payment coverage, or theft and vandalism coverage.
- If you have financed the purchase of your motorcycle, you will likely be required to have coverage for physical damages until your loan is paid in full.
Owning a motorcycle can be a wonderful experience, and purchasing the right motorcycle insurance will give you the peace of mind to enjoy riding for many years to come. Our experienced professionals have the knowledge and resources to help you make an informed decision. Please give us a call at All American Insurance Brokerage today!